It is an important responsibility of doctors and health providers to train and inform new parents how to take care of their children and take appropriate measures to protect them from any accident or infections.
Here is a brief summary of those important points that should be explained to every parent.
1. Keep small objects out of your baby’s reach.
2. Stay with your baby when he/she is eating or drinking.
3. Make sure your baby’s cot and mattress are in good condition and that the mattress fits the cot properly.
4. Install at least one smoke alarm.
5. Plan a way to escape a fire with your baby.
6. Never leave your baby alone in bath or near water.
7. Immunize your baby.
8. Make sure your baby cannot reach hot drinks, kettle or iron flex.
9. Only use toy’s suitable for your baby’s age.
10. Never shake your baby- ask for help if crying gets too much.
11. Use a properly fitted baby car seat that is the right size for your baby.
12. Do not use a baby walker.